At Harbour Lodge we seek to minimise the impact of the business upon the environment without compromising quality, comfort, safety or hygiene.
- We have reduced our energy and water consumption by the use of monitoring, automating controls and by minimising waste.
- We use energy saving light bulbs, timers on lighting where practical and have introduced motion/light detectors in some public areas. Our garden is lit by low energy bulbs, supplemented by solar lighting.
- The heating/hot water system is fully controlled by thermostatic radiator valves, cylinder and room thermostats and timing controls. The system is driven by a high efficiency Baxi gas boiler.
- We have reduced our business mileage by better planning and the combining of essential journeys. We shop locally where possible and often walk to town for supplies.
- We have fitted water saving devices and dual flush cisterns when refurbishing the en-suites.
- We collect rainwater for use in the garden and washing the car.
- We are recycling all of our waste, glass, paper and card board, plastics and cans in addition to composting garden and kitchen waste. We also have a wormery.
- We encourage wildlife into our garden by growing plants that attract insects such as butterflies and bees. We also have nest boxes and bird feeders.
We supply information and leaflets about the local wildlife, flora and fauna along with details about the many nature parks and coast and countryside walks and events.
- We use many recycled/bio-degradable products, homemade, local and organic food and Fair Trade items and use environmentally friendly cleaning materials, for example Ecover, and micro-fibre cloths.
- We reduce the amount of surplus packaging going to landfill by purchasing cleaning products and toiletries etc. in bulk containers.
- When equipment requires replacement we will endeavour to source the most energy efficient or environmentally friendly option.
- We encourage car free holidays and promote the use of public transport to get around the Bay and beyond, as there are very good bus, train and ferry services in place. We have timetables and information available for all these and we are always happy to advise our guests regarding travel arrangements.